- Student Services
- Year 11 Exams and Revision
- Year 10 Mock Exam Information
- Subject Information
- English & Media
- Maths & Computing
- Science & Engineering
- World Studies
- Further Learning Opportunities
- Extra Curricular Opportunities
- Duke of Edinburgh's Award
- Accelerated Reading Videos
- Careers, Information and Guidance
- Work Experience
- Start (Online Careers Tool)
- Student Voice
- Catering Services
- BBC School Report 2018
- The MYRIAD Project
Year 11 Prom at Burton Albion
Year 10 Mock Exams Start
Parents Forum (Discussion Group)
Year 7 Parents Evening
“Doctor Who: You want weapons? We're in a library. Books are the best weapon in the world. This room's the greatest arsenal we could have. Arm yourself!” (from Tooth and Claw in Season 2) ― Russell T. Davies
“The only thing that you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.” ― Albert Einstein
The Library is a vibrant, well used and valued resource. It is central to promoting a love of reading and literacy within the school. It is run by the Library Resources Manager who is more than happy to advise on reading for pleasure and help locate information to support homework and tasks set to support the curriculum.
Reading for pleasure is encouraged and supported by the school’s use of the Accelerated Reader scheme with Years 7 and 8, a reading programme designed to accelerate learning through reading. Research has shown that reading daily can improve a child’s reading age, concentration and reduce stress. We hope that through our encouragement of reading students will enhance their learning and gain a life long love of books and literature.
A wide range of up-to-date resources are available to support students throughout their life at The William Allitt School, including books, magazines, newspapers, audio books and e-readers. Students can also access the library catalogue Searchstar.
The Library is very popular with students at break and lunchtimes when they have the opportunity to choose a book to read, carry out an Accelerated Quiz, research and complete their homework or just read or study quietly.
Throughout the year the Library provides students with the opportunity to participate in events such as:
- World Book Day
- Author and Poet Visit
- Derbyshire Reading Challenge
- Derbyshire Spelling Bee
- Carnegie Medal discussions
- Derbyshire Schools’ Book Award
- National and local competitions for poetry and story writing are also promoted by the Librarian.
- Opportunity to help promote literacy throughout the school by becoming one of our Student Literacy Ambassadors.
Links to additional reading and learning resources